What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Both Wings or one at a time

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Just wondering as I am getting started, are most of you working on one wing at a time, or both wings simultaneously? Seems like there could be advantages to both ways.

I recommend both wing together if you have the room.
That's what I did.

For me, on the RV-3B, building both at once means that once I've figured out how to do something, I can just do it. I won't have to figure it out again for the next wing.

It does take up more room in the shop.

Dave
P.S. And yes, I can duplicate a mistake on the other wing. :eek:

I would recommend both wings at the same time. I don't know about other folks, but I think if I did one at a time, that I wouldn't be as motivated to build the 2nd wing after finishing the first. My 2 cents !!

+4, I'm doing them as well at the same time. Sometimes it's after each step and sometimes it's after I get done with a whole section, then I go back and do the other one. By doing one wing at a time per section it does save me some movement since I have a portable wing storage table to move the wing I'm not working on at the time out of the way. I also think if I waited until completely finished with one wing before starting the second, IMHO, I would also have to go back and re-learn certain tasks, or the very least, try to find that special tool I've not used in months!:eek:

Fixtures

Seems like I'm always building some type of fixture to secure my work. Sometimes it is just 2x4's clamped to the table and other times it is something more elaborate. By doing both wings at once, you only do this type of work one time.

Do both!

Do both at the same time ... I'm working on a 7, and found that all the setup, fixturing, learning, etc, makes the same operations on the second wing go much faster. Especially when you get to sealing the tanks, being setup for parallel operations (with all the chems, supplies, etc) on both wings makes the assembly ops much more efficient.

I started with one wing. I'm currently working on the outboard leading edge.

I've been giving some thought to stopping after the outboard leading edge and then starting the right wing. The idea being I would do the fuel tanks simultaneously.

Both Wings

As always - great advice. I have the room, so it's both wings at the same time. Thanks for all the input. Stoney

Both

I am doing both (albeit very slowly) and try to work outboard in, thinking that if I screw up a hole, it is probably more "fixable" the further outboard it is.

I am doing one wing up to the point of the fuel tanks. Then I will do the second up up to the same point. Then everything will be done together. I could build more tables to hold both wings, but this way I can hang one wing in a cradle and start the other.

cheers
ken

blueflyer--

the one issue with the poll is that is it for the RV7 and not the 14. With the 7 you don't start on the wings, so you build confidence on the tail cone. On the 14, you have no choice of starting on the tailcone (at least did not). This is the reason I started one wing at a time.

ken

good point! :)

blueflyer--

the one issue with the poll is that is it for the RV7 and not the 14. With the 7 you don't start on the wings, so you build confidence on the tail cone. On the 14, you have no choice of starting on the tailcone (at least did not). This is the reason I started one wing at a time.

ken

Back