What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control Stick Assmbly

rglick

Well Known Member
:cool: Last night I installed the Control Stick(s) assembly for the final time. When every thing was trimmed as instructed by the plans (Slip fit) I noticed a small amount of play within the brass bushing that does transfer to the stick when you hold one side tight while moving the other stick. Is this something I should be concerned with at this point since there isn't a pushrod and control surface installed yet?

Richard
Slinger, Wisconsin
RV7A/Fus

Last edited:
Hi Rick,

I have a little play in mine, too. As you said, I installed it exactly as prescribed. It does not seem to be any consequence. I do not notice it at all while flying. The rest of the control system did not induce anymore play that I could tell. It really annoyed me when I first discovered it. I then isolated the play to the bushings in the sticks. Again, it does not seem to affect controllability and I doubt it will get worse.

Slinger, eh. If you would like to check out my 7A, We are on AirTroy Estates, just south of Mukwonago, two miles east of East Troy (57C).

Roberta

Control Stick Play

I find this a lot in older RVs. And it is usually always the bushings in the control sticks that allow this. I am a fanatic on slop in the control system.
Rather than drill to fit, try a ream to fit. Mess around a little bit with bolts.
You will be surprised that not all 1/4 inch or 3/16 inch bolts are dimensionally the same size. Try a real tight one, a little Scotch Brite, some lube, you may find a very nice slip fit.
Darrell
Firebird Aviation.com

Control Stick Play

The play is coming from the Brass bushing on the outside where it spins inside the Control Assembly race not the inside where the bolt goes through. The Bolts are not creating any play. I did remove it and flipped it around which took a small amount out. I will leave it for now and if it is a problem when flying, fix it then. Thanks

Rick
RV7A Fuselage
Slinger, WI

Back