What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Cross Country Air Race

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
What do you think of a Cross Country Air Race for RV's? Really, what do you think about it and would you consider participating? I got the following e-mail from Pat Purcell who is Vice President of U. S. Air Race, Inc.:

Dear Bob,
Want to keep you updated on our 2005 races.... SEpt 23-29. We will start in Mesquite TX and end up in Monroe, NC. There will be a start 300 AND a finish 300. Route for the MJAR is all confirmed except one airport....through OK< AR>MS<AL<GA and Carolinas....all uncontrolled fields where they all claim to have the best Southern hopsitality and services. Web site has an entry kit up to use.
Want to help me with Van's in getting some $$$$ and Van's entries? Would love to have a division for that model and get Van's aircraft to put up the prizes. What do you think?
Let's go racing! Pat P (http://www.us-airrace.org)

I asked Van's about the the sponsorship but it was merely a courtesy to Pat - I think I know that answer.

I have flown in their race in 1998 and 2002. It is a first class operation and it is serious racing over a long distance in approximately 300 mile legs that can be competed in by anyone. In the past these have strictly been handicaped with everyone competing with everyone else. They put out a Race Program (document) that is every bit as good as they put out for the Indianapolis 500 or Reno Air Races with photographs and a writeup of every team. Pat would like to expand the traditional race to include head-to-head no handicap racing in addition to the handicaped class. She thinks that because of the popularity of RV's there could be a class just for them with or without a handicap. I told her I have no Idea what RV'rs would think about the idea so I'm asking you for feedback.

Bob Axsom RV-6A N710BJ

Last edited:
It is and it is competitive

It is fun and it is competitive. The last time I flew in the races I was in our Archer II with a handicap that should have leveled the playing field (I never gave the effect of cross winds any thought) and I flew with the throttle to the stop. There were a couple of hiccups with controllers but I thought I had a shot at winning. How deflating when at the awards banquet my name was called first for last place of the racers that did not scratch. Still only a couple of years later I am almost over the shame and I will never forget the thrill of the race and the companionship with the other race teams over the three days of the actual race. Fun seems inadequate to describe the feeling but it was fun.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A N710BJ

The route of the big race announced

Pat Purcell alerted me to the www.aero-news.net coverage of the US Air Race preparations. I went to the web site and found that the route includes 5 straight line VFR legs (typically over three days) between the airports at:

Mesquite, Texas
Miami, Oklahoma
Tunica, Mississippi
Gadsden, Alabama
Waycross, Georgia
Monroe, North Carolina

Maybe I'll see some of you there (like my neighbor to the south - Mr. Olds - if he gets his special issuance by September).

Bob Axsom
RV-6A N710BJ

EAA Hot Line Item

I just saw this item in the EAA Hot Line:

National Air Races & Air Cruise Entries Open
?Cattle Country to the Carolinas? is the theme for the 2005 U.S. Air Races, scheduled from September 23 to September 29. Races include the 1,800-mile Marion Jayne Air Race, from Texas to North Carolina; the 300-mile Cowhand Air Race in Texas, and the 300-mile Carolinas Air Race in the Carolinas. Pilots are welcome to race or cruise. The Air Cruise option provides a chance to fly where U.S. Air Race handles ground arrangements and team gatherings. A free entry kit is available at www.us-airrace.org.

A lot of hits but only one response

Only one response is not a good sign for an RV class in the races but that's OK, I will fly the handicapped 1800 miler with everyone else instead of an unhandicapped RV pure speed race.

Just curious - there were two RV-4 pilots in the 1998 race from Shreveport, LA, Tim Berry and Jack Savage of Hampstead and Westminster Maryland respectively. Are they still flying them?

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ

Thanks RV Pilots and Builders

Thanks for your interest expressed by your visits to this thread. I sent the following message to Pat Purcell (she is accessible through the http://www.us-airrace.org website) this morning to tell her about the RV pilot interest in her proposed RV head-to-head no handicap category in this years race from Mesquite, Texas to Monroe, North Carolina:

Pat,

I received the message below from XXXXXX of Belleville, Michigan and the following Vansairforce Forum response from XXXXXXXX of Olathe, Kansas "Sounds like fun! XXXXXXXXXX". There have been 339 hits on the RV Race posting so there is considerable interest in such a race. Participating in a race is a big consideration for most pilots so I think the response is pretty good. I hope several RV Pilots participate but it takes time to build a race into something credible in the eyes of the RV pilots. I suspect there may be entries (I just got my insurance assurance so I will be entering for sure) but I don't think it is worth your time setting up a special head to head category for RVs this year. Everyone lumped into the big handicapped race is probably better for this year.

Thanks for all your work on putting the races together,

Bob Axsom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob

You can add my name to the list of people interested in racing. My RV is up and flying and the race sounds like a blast.

XXX

The Cross Country Air Race Situation AirVenture & USAR

I read the AirVenture Cup Race write-up in today's (4/19/05) Vansairforce.net news and I have been planning to enter the race all along. I was surprized to read the lack of commitment shown by the EAA in cancelling the race then trying to turn it back on again with short lead time. It is very difficult to organize a good race over a long distance and I suspect the sponsors were getting tired of supporting (paying) for it. The very best races of this type (all out speed over a long distance) that I have participated in were the ones organized by Aircraft Spruce & Specialty especially the race from Denver to Oshkosh in 1996. When I heard the AirVenture Cup was cut down to one little sprint from Dayton it sent up a warning flag that all was not well in the EAA Race camp. The cancellation of the race at Sun 'n Fun this year by the SNF bosses follows the trend. US Air Race at:

http://www.us-airrace.org

is putting on their handicapped race from Texas to North Carolina following a five segment 1800 course which is a handicapped race and it is by far the very best of its kind. We are going to fly in both the AirVenture Cup and the US Air Races and as the article in the news section of this web site hinted I hope many others do the same. The reason is simple, if little interest is shown by participants in these races that are always a difficult to put on, they will simply dry up. In truth I suspect that will happen anyway somewhere down the road - it is something to do while the opportunity still exists.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ

Last edited:
Expense

I think it is the expense of the race that hinders a lot of us. I realize it costs a bunch of $$ to put on a first class event. I enjoy first class. Like most I still have to budget how many first class things I can do. Thank you for putting out the info. Maybe some day.................... :)

Route of the long race announced

I got this from http://www.us-airrace.org:

The U.S. Air Race, Inc. is pleased to announce the Official Route and designated stops for the 2005 National Air Races. It all starts at Mesquite Metro Airport (HQZ), Mesquite, TX. Cowboys, B-B-Q and the Dallas/Fort Woth Metroplex await you. HQZ offers every service and amenity a pilot could ask for. Airport Manager, Cynthia Godfrey, extends a warm welcome and is justly proud of the new terminal building. We will make good use of these outstanding facilities. All pre-race functions will take place at Mesquite Metro along with the start/finish of the Cowhand 300 Air Race and the start of the Marion Jayne Air Race. Fun and excitement on the ground will center around the Mesquite Championship Rodeo.

... the following mandatory timing and fueling stops. All airports serve as optional RON's. First off is Miami,OK (MIO), Stop #2-Tunica, MS (UTA), Stop #3-Pascagoula, MS (PQL), Stop #4-Gadsden,AL (GAD), Stop #5-Waycross, GA (AYA) and the finish line at Monroe, NC (EQY). Monroe will host the Carolinas 300 Air Race. EQY was the finish of our 1997 event and in 2005, our 10th Anniversary year, we return to an airport for the very first time in our history. Yes, Monroe has what it takes!

Bob Axsom

Entry Deadlines Coming Up

Entry deadline for the AirVenture Cup (http://www.eaa.org, etc.) is the day after tomorrow (Tuesday May 31, 2005) and it can be satisfied by a postmark on the entry envelope before midnight. I hope to see all those hot Lycon mod. powered RVs in Dayton.

The U. S. Air Race, Inc. race (http://www.us-airrace.org, etc) from Texas to North Carolina can be entered right up to the race day I believe but the entry fee jumps up $75 after June. Hope to see some of you folks there too (Look for #11).

Bob Axsom

Latest Developments

EAA kicked back my insurance Cert today for the AirVenture Cup Race. My Insurance Agent is working with them and that should come out OK. My impression is EAA will work with you if you submitted an Insurance Cert with your entry post marked before midnight 5/31/05.

Flying Magazine July issue has a nice announcement about the other big cross country air race in the Airways section "Entry Kits Available for National Air Races". Entries submitted before the end of June save $75.

Bob Axsom

2003 race entrant

these racer type guys got really good parking spots at OSH :)

oshandjacklsplane1221uj.jpg

WOW! That looks Hot - What about 2005?

Mark That is a hot looking front end (surprized at the round head screws on the spinner though) are you going to fly the 2005 AirVenture Cup Race? If you haven't entered yet it is too late of course but it looks like you could be a winner.

The other much bigger race is still open for entries at http://www.us-airrace.org. The entry fee is higher but it is not just a trophy dash - the last time I raced first place paid $5,000. I even got $200 for my embarassing 14th place finish. In the past experimentals have definitly been in the minority in this non-EAA event. In the 1998 race from Shreveport, LA to Frederick, MD Ken Johnson from Erwinna, PA flew his Glassair III that he had finished second in the 1994 Round the World Race as well as second in the 1996 and 1997 US Air Race. In the same race Tim Berry from Hampstead, MD and Jack Savage from Westminster, MD flew their RV-4s. I received an e-mail from organizer Pat Purcell yesterday saying that a LongEZ pilot from Pennsylvania was considering an entry so things could be changing.

The race is handicapped with individual full throttle at race weight speed runs (with all of the equalizing constraints) then subtracting 20 MPH to establish the handicap speed for each airplane in an attempt to give all entries an equal shot at winning. However, Pat told me months ago that if enough RV entries were interested she would set up a no handicap head-to-head race class within the race for them (us). I don't think there is sufficient interest for that to happen however.

Anyway, I hope you entered both races and do well in them.

Bob Axsom (Racer #11 in the 2005 US Air Race)

Last edited:
Twelve Race Numbers reserved

Twelve Race numbers have been reserved for the U.S. Air Race (http://www.us-airrace.org) I think I am the only RV and a Long EZ is the only other experimental. Two new racers have signed up since I last got a run down so I could be wrong. I would like to see some other RVs.

Bob Axsom

Race Polo Shirt

U.S. Air Race sent me my polo shirt today before the "N" number is added so I could wear it to the AirVenture Cup and Oshkosh. Here is a photo in case you are not at either place.

Bob Axsom

shirt1xz.jpg

Thanks Mark

Thanks Mark. Since the other Experimental racer was killed practicing formation flying I am all alone with the Barons, Mooneys and Bonanzas. Have you ever seen how small a little tail RV-6A looks parked next to a production airplane? I organized a fly-in to Bowling Green Kentucky to visit the Corvette Assembly Plant and the National Corvette Museum a few months ago. There were threats of hail one night so we squeezed the planes in an FBO hangar. My RV-6A was in the absolute corner of a small side wing and a friend's Dakota was sqeezed in right in front of it. I almost had to laugh at the sight - It looked like the Dakota had a baby. I'm sure some other Experimental Pilot will step forward and join in the race before September. Anyway, there is the David and Goliath potential for a good story. I'm getting ready for the AirVenture Cup next week. Pulled the cowl last night to change the oil, oil filter, air filter and give it a good looking over. Found two of the 3/8" SS exhaust supports broken at the crimp. I had thought if I made them with less of a sharp transition line from round to flat that they would hold up but I was wrong. The design is just not adequate. I still have more tubing for this high maintenance item but I would like to try tube clamp attach method suggested by a fellow last year in this forum. Hate to make a design change before a race but this is no good for sure - maybe next time.

Bob Axsom

AirVenture Cup Entries

5 Sport Lee Behel Lancair Legacy N138A
10 Sport Keith Phillips SX-300 N53SX
13 Formula RG James Redmon Berkut N97TX
15 Formula FX Tim Freeze Cozy Mk III N215TW
18 Formula RV John Huft RV-8 N184JH
20 Sprint Frank Pullano Vari-EZ N500EZ
22 Sprint Sam Hoskins Q-200 N202SH
24 Sport Rich Guerra Velocity XL RG N724X
25 Formula RG Mike McEvoy Glasair IIS RG N333HK
27 Formula RV Jon Ross RV-8 N207RV
28 Sport Jeff Ludwig Glasair III N824DC
29 Unlimited Jack Morrison E-Racer N345JM
31 Formula RG Dick Keyt Polen Special II N11DP
33 Sport Dick Martin RV-8 N233M
34 Formula RV Chris Murphy RV-4 N117CM
36 Formula RG Larry Henney Lancair 359 N360LH
37 Formula FX Red Hamilton Tailwind NX374WT
40 Sport Patrick Shea Velocity XL RG N340XL
41 Sprint Herb Rutter Long-EZ N91HR
44 Unlimited Lynn Farnsworth Lancair Legacy N23LF
48 Formula RV Dave Weisgerber RV-6 N7219D
49 Formula RV Tony Crawford RV-4 N(?)
52 Formula FX Don Saint Glasair IIS FT N952W
53 Formula RV Scott Gesele RV-6A N506RV
56 Formula RV Scott Jordan RV-8 N733JJ
58 Formula FX David Berlsman Tailwind N564DF
61 Formula RV Steve Campbell RV-6 N601SC
62 Formula FX Eric Branyon Glasair IIS FT N962EB
63 Formula RV Bob Vasey RV-3 N13BV
65 Formula FX Jorgen Skovbjerg Cozy Mk III N655DK
66 Sprint Rob Martinson Vari-EZ N6LK
67 Sprint Bill Eslick RV-6 N268BL
68 Sprint Daniel Cox Vari-EZ N66DC
69 Formula RV Debbie Scanlan RV-7A N769BD
71 Formula RV Bob Axsom RV-6A N710BJ
74 Formula RV Scott Spencer RV-4 N4ZW
75 Sport Sarah Bean Glasair III N7SY
77 Formula RG Mark Ravinski Lancair 360 N360KB
79 Sport Duncan Sutherland SX-300 N74SX
80 Sport Keith Walljasper Seawind N80CC
81 Formula RV John Shaw RV-8 N881DC
82 Formula RV Patrick Driscoll RV-8 N824PK
91 Formula FX Bruce Hammer Glasair I TD N91LH
93 Formula FX Rich Lamb Long-EZ N893LT
94 Formula RG Scott Krueger Lancair 320 N92EX
96 Formula RG Arnold Christen Lancair 360 N96AC
98 Formula RV Michael Kelly RV-8 N9699D
99 Formula FX Kerry Fritz Long-EZ N25KF

I just received this information this evening in a different format. I sorted it by race # there are others in the planes as crew (Jeanine is in #71 for instance) but I only copied the first name for brevity. I did a bit of software conversions and Excel moves which can cause errors (like when nuimbers are involved). Many pilots and builders are interested in racing of various types and I thought some of you might be interested in this advance look at the competition. I would put my money on the Lee Behel for overall top speed. Dick Keyt is another favorite but with a smaller engine he will probably end up as the winner of Formula RG in the one of a kind Pollen Special II. The second column is the class the plane is entered in the rest is self explanatory.

Bob Axsom

New Racer in a Different Class

I was at the airport yesterday getting ready for flying to Dayton Saturday and I hear this horn honking. I'm down there putting the little nosegear strut/cowl entersection fairing back on so I didn't imediately see who it was. When I rolled over I see this little black pickup driving by with a guy sitting on the tail gate holding the tailwheel of a little red and yellow biplane which is being towed backwards. It was obvious that this was not your average Pitts biplane - much too small and sleek. It was Cris Ferguson's new racer that he is getting ready for Reno. He is going to do the weight and balance today. He did let me take a photograph.

Bob Axsom

dvc000015mc.jpg

Last edited:
Last in Class

Man I hate that! Gambled on FSS info of lighter headwinds over Indiana at 9,000ft. After slow climbing to 8,500 and spending a short time there realized that was a real bad move. Came back down to 2,000 and things were much better. It was a good race and we met some good people. Flew back from Oshkosh to Fayetteville, Arkansas today non-stop 3hrs 15min - good to be home. Well, there is still the U.S. Air Race in September (http://www.us-airrace.org.).

Bob Axsom

Back