What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx ADS-B Installation

Don Patterson

Well Known Member
I am looking for a good place to mount the Navworx box on my 7A and thought I would ask others where did you mount yours. My first thought was under the panel. Although that may be the best location for short wire runs, it's a real pain to work under the panel on my back.
Another location I was considering was behind the rear bulkhead.
Navworx says it's another few weeks before delivery, so I have some time but want to get a jump on the installation. I am looking for ideas from others that went through the installation of the Navworx ADS-B box.
Thanks

Baggage compartment

I mounted it on the sidewall in the baggage compartment in the 7. It's out of the way but easy to get to for updates if needed.

Vic

Myself and several other folks I know have put them in the rear, right behind the baggage bulkhead in a RV-10. I suspect you could do the same in a RV-7.

Just make sure you terminal port is accessible for programming and updates. I have to take my bulkhead panel out, but I've seen several folks install a DB connector on the bulkhead.

bob

Myself and several other folks I know have put them in the rear, right behind the baggage bulkhead in a RV-10. I suspect you could do the same in a RV-7.

Just make sure you terminal port is accessible for programming and updates. I have to take my bulkhead panel out, but I've seen several folks install a DB connector on the bulkhead.

bob

I mounted mine behind the baggage bulkhead of my RV12 and extended the connector so I could access it without opening up the bulkhead. :)

Bulkhead

I also did behind the bulkhead. My suggestion would be to put more wires than you think you need. You always need more.

Mounting the ADS-B

Thanks for all of the information so far. Sounds like most people mount it in an area That offers accessibility.
I would rather take off the rear bulkhead then work on my back. Adding the terminal port for programming and updates
Sounds like a great idea as well. It would be hidden by my interior panels.
Adding extra wires sounds like thinking ahead as well. Will do.

Mine's on order and will be mounted behind the baggage bulkhead (mostly for CG purposes)

I'm curious if this group is using the built in WAAS GPS or will be feeding GPS Data from your certified Nav GPS?

I plan to install a second antenna and use the built in GPS for second nav source to my glass. (430W is primary input) Since my glass does not have certified database, it will not be IFR legal but it can still save my bacon with a synthetic approach.

ADS-B

Bill,
I ordered the certified version from Navworx and my understanding is that the WAAS antenna built into the ADS-B will meet the 2020 requirement by the FAA.
I bought another GPS antenna that feeds the WAAS antenna in the ADS-B per Bill Moffitt at Navworx.
Not sure how I would hook up the internal GPS on the ADS-B to my EFIS for a second nav source, but sure like the idea. Let me know how you do it if you do.
My glass is from AFS.
Don

I don't have the manual open at the moment, but there is a GPS data out RS232 noted on the pinout diagram for the ADS600-B. Mr. Moffet indicated the pinout would not change for the ADS600-BG.

He indicated the only change apparent to us as users would be the physical dimensions as the box got a bit taller due to the certified WAAS GPS. Mount position should be the same.

So, my question was kinda' pointed at any speed freaks in the group that would be averse to adding that second WAAS GPS antenna on the outside of the craft. The unit can be fed GPS data from elsewhere if one wanted to skip the antenna.

Maybe that is a reason to mount it behind the panel, so the antenna can go on the glare screen.

Navworx ADS600 BG

Finished the installation of the Navworx ADS600 BG.
I installed the control box behind the rear bulkhead and ran my wiring from there to my panel. I have an Advance Flight Systems 4500 EFIS and 3400 engine monitor. I had a few questions before my first flight regarding the programing and settings that were quickly answered by Bill Moffitt from Navworx.
Rob Hickman also replied to a few quick emails about a few last minute settings on my EFIS.
With the help of both Bill and Rob ON SUNDAY! I am up and running with traffic and weather displayed in my plane. You can't beat that for service.
On my first flight, traffic was being displayed on both AFS displays and my Garmin 496.
Want to thank everyone who chimed in, and both Rob Hickman and Bill Moffitt for their help.
Don

Got my -BG yesterday. I can't work on it this weekend because of a family commitment but I plan to stare at the inside of the rear fuselage for a while tonight. :)

My wires are already routed (not terminated) from initial construction so I expect to get this thing in next week. (EDIT. Wishfull thinking. I decided to run some more wire)

BTW, the DeltaPop UAT antenna was a treat. I thought I was getting a wire post and ball, but it is a blade. :cool:

FYI, this install will be in concert with the oldest GRT H1 screens and a 327 for code control head.

Last edited:
Bill,
Just for info, set up your 327 for a 330 TIS output so it will communicate with the 600bg.

Don

Don,
You have totally lost me.
I'm looking at the 327 installation manual that I have and the RS-232 output shows only 3 selections:

1) Off
2) Icarus Altitude
3) Remote out.

The remote seems to be the only selection that makes sense in order to transmit squawk codes to the ADS600.

It sounds like you have been through this already, so please explain what I am missing from your advice above.

Bill,

Remote out is the correct selection. I'm not sure what I was thinking about, but the GTX330 setting has to do with the GNS430W I have, not the GTX327.

Don

Right. That makes sense now. I have a 430W but not planning to connect the ADS600 to it. Could change my mind half way in but just connecting to GRTs is the plan at the moment.

Moving forward

I fabricated some brackets a few days ago out of .063 3/4 angle and (now that the snow has abated) got them mounted tonight at the hangar. These brackets weighed 51 grams in total (yes, I'm crazed about lightweight metal)

Finished by screwing the box in place.

Gosh I despise working in the tailcone. I'm not looking forward to the GPS and UAT antenna.

4113837752fed90dd0a68.jpg

158009939452fed90dd316a.jpg

Awesomeness

Took my first flight with ADS-B. Sweet. ADS600-BG worked flawlessly. Traffic, radar, weather. :) 2020 ready, even though the FAA will not be. :mad:

Only setup issue was my brand spanking new 64 bit laptop running Win 7 OS that did not want to communicate with the console program. I grabbed a 5 year old 32 bit laptop with XP and it worked immediately. That's Progress... :rolleyes:

Even though it is stated as not required, I did connect the "suppression" line between my 327 and the Navworx box. I had to run some wires anyway (and I don't want to do it again) so in it went. I wanted to be SURE there would be no issues with "double images" in the traffic area.

Last edited:
I was just flying our -9A today with the GRT's and he Navworx box. Fantastic display of traffic. There wasn't a cloud in the sky with 75 degrees F on the ground, so the sky was full of little targets.

Back