What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cub Flying

N941WR

Legacy Member
What does this have to do with RV's? Well, it was filmed from the bottom of the right wing of my RV-9.

In this case, there is no music, other than the wonderful sound of my O-360 and a lot of wind noise. (Any suggestions for a sound track would be greatly appreciated!)

Early morning Cub Flight

Rabid Cub Fan

Bill,
Thanks for sharing your video.

I'm a huge Cub fan, so much so that I think we should sh!t can all other primary trainers and force everyone to at least solo a Cub before moving on to the gadget-planes we use now.

Sport Aviation

Excellent article in current SA about how pilots who have never used anything but glass could learn much from a Cub, at least those who have survived the glass could.

Bill,
Thanks for sharing your video.

I'm a huge Cub fan, so much so that I think we should sh!t can all other primary trainers and force everyone to at least solo a Cub before moving on to the gadget-planes we use now.

Same here! I got my tail wheel endorsement in a J-3 20+ years ago, owned a '41 T-Craft before starting on the -9, and have time in a bunch of different tail draggers (Cub's to Stearman's to T-6's to Great Lakes to a Super Chipmunk and more) and hope to own a J-3 sometime in the future.

I was surprised at how easy it was for the -9 to stay with the cub. I was running between 15 and 18% power with 10 degrees of flaps and still WAY above stall. In fact, the AOA never even chirped.

I did ask the Cub pilot to keep his speed up on final, which is why his landings were so long but other than that, I had no problems staying with him. All the temps were way down in the green.

It's a sad note to share but "times, they are a changing" ...

An airport in NH had flight training and the program took each student thru solo in J-3s and then transitioned for 172's for the rest of the PPL. This past year the airport sold and the new owners removed the J-3's from the training program and they are not only available for transition training.

Updated based on Ryan's feedback.

For J-3 wanna-be's, you will have a blast stopping into 7B3 and getting a little Cub time ... it will make you a better RV pilot too (and it will make you look younger and grow hair).

Last edited:
Which airport in NH?

I'm training in a J-3 and an L-4 at 7B3 (Hampton, NH). They love Cubs, in fact, after they cut my tails off they gave me a nice Cub T-Shirt as a replacement!

I would guess that most of their students find them because of the tail-wheel first philosophy, it's a unique place and very RV (and Cub) friendly.

You can still learn that way at New London airport in VA (W90). The only difference is you learn in a J4 Cub - a very rare side by side seating version. Airplane was flown around the circumference of the US with nothing more than a chart and the whiskey compass back in the 80s. Probably over 1,000 students have soloed in the thing over the years. Rents for about $30 wet or less I'd guess.

Someplaces still remain connected to the past and some profit by taking advantage of the opportunity presented.

Another thanks for the video... from another RV flyer who got his tailwheel endorsement in a '46 J-3 Cub with a C65 engine.

I would like to make a like video from my RV, but I need a Cub first. Anyone know of a nice one for sale. This is a relevant RV post, no?
Thx,
Mark

I know it was Legend Cub and not a Piper, but that was the longest solo pilot Cub takeoff run I've ever seen! We he waiting till 80 to lift off or something? :)

I know it was Legend Cub and not a Piper, but that was the longest solo pilot Cub takeoff run I've ever seen! We he waiting till 80 to lift off or something? :)

I'm not sure about the takeoff but I did ask him to keep his speed up on final.

The problem, if you call it a problem, with the Legend Cub is that they have doors and windows on both sides and with the both of them open there is a LOT of drag. The other thing is that he never slams the throttle but gently applies feeds it in. In addition to going up hill on grass.

Hi Ryan - good to know. I was jsut at Hampton Airfield and was lead to believe they were pushing new students to the LSA and Cessna.

I am so glad to hear the J-3 are still available (and hopefully recommended) as part of the PPL program.

Back