What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which New Jersey Airport

johngoodman

Well Known Member
I'm flying my RV-10 up to NJ to visit my daughter & family in early September. I've found four small airports that are about equidistant to her house in Scotch Plains; LDJ, SMQ, N51, and 47N.
Ignoring the price of fuel and airport restaurant, which one is best for flying in and out with a few days of tie-down/hangar?

John Goodman

I'm based at Somerset, SMQ. It is a very nice, friendly airport. Ramp space shouldn't be a problem. I would give them a call if you are interested in hangar space. In and out is very easy. We have three approaches, two are RNAV. NY Tracon is very accommodating if you are coming or going IFR.

N51 and 47N are similar in feel to SMQ. LDJ is much busier and sits very close to Newark. IFR to or from LDJ you are more likely to have delays.

I would guess that the ride from SMQ to Scotch Plains is about 30-40 minutes.

Airports

Lots of horror stories about LDJ but they all appear to be from about three years ago. I personally would not use LDJ unless I wanted to go into Manhatten. 47N would be the next closest, tiedown should not be a problem, access to the highways is pretty good.

I'm flying my RV-10 up to NJ to visit my daughter & family in early September. I've found four small airports that are about equidistant to her house in Scotch Plains; LDJ, SMQ, N51, and 47N.
Ignoring the price of fuel and airport restaurant, which one is best for flying in and out with a few days of tie-down/hangar?

John Goodman

All four are good John. Some professional pilots don't like Linden because it has a unique pattern and need a bit of planning. You just can't drop VFR from anywhere like on other airports. No hangars available at 47N, N51 and LDJ, SteveM hinted that a roof might be available at SMQ after a call. I have no connections there.

Thanks for the replies and private messages! I've pretty much decided to fly into MMU with SMQ as a second choice. Should be arriving around the 11th barring bad weather.
John

Back