What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh virgin

I am going to Oshkosh AirVentur for the first time. I will most likly get there on Monday and leave on Thursday, but I am flexible. What I want to know form others who have been is what should I look at, and is three days long enough? I am building the wings right now on a 7 slow build, so any advice is great.
Do you think it is too late to get a room at the U of W? I sent them a email but have not heard back yet.

Thanks
Ryan :)

three days enough?

I've been going to OSH for the last three years. I think 3 days is probably enough time, depending on how many things you're interested in looking at??? I'd suggest getting the program, which has a map with the location of all the venders in it, checking out the ones you're really interested in, then "build" a route & go shopping. When you're finished shopping, take some time to look at the airplanes. My family & I spend the entire week there, and every year we find out there's something else we missed somewhere.
The thing that I'm not sure I understand very well is they open the venders hangers at 9 or 10 in the morning, if I remember right, & close them at 5 in the afternoon. Seems to me they'd open at 7:30 or 8 & stay open till 7 or 8 in the evening. Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but I would probably guess this would be their busiest time of year :confused:
I would also make provisions for groceries. The food prices are outrageous. I wouldn't have a problem with say 2-3% more for a meal, but, 20-30% is a bit much, I think. I realize it cost them a little more to set up there, but I also think if the prices were more reasonable they might sell enough more to make up for the difference. Not to mention the number of people they'd be making happy. I could stay on this soap box for a long time. This is the major reasons I don't go to a lot of events & when I do go, I take my own feed bag.

Marshall Alexander

If you are an EAA member, you will get the schedule book listing all the forums being held and the times and places. You may want to look that over to see if any are of interest. As mentioned above, get the maps and locations of venders of interest to help find things easier. EAA is very big and there is a lot to see and do. Stay longer if you can. If your budget is tight, try to eat off field as much as possible. Prices are higher at the Fly In, but due mainly to the fact that the vendors have to locate there and there are costs associated with doing business at the Fly In that are otherwise not imposed on them. A lunch or dinner range from 5 to 10 bucks, breakfast maybe a little less depending on what you eat.

Rich and I have been going to the Fly In for over 20 years ( I actually started going with my Dad in the 60's). We have been Volunteering for the last 3 years and found it to be a great way to do the Fly In. We are at the Aircraft Registration Shack near the flight line by Aeroshell Square (next to the Classic Cafe).

U of W has probably not gotten into full swing yet dealing with dorm rooms. They will sort requests out in the order received. Camping is not a bad option if you have a tent or trailer. It is first come, first served. EAA Campgrounds are close and well equipped (stores and showers and portapotties), but do not have electrical or water hookups. You can get black and gray water pumped. Rich and I used new plastic gas cans for hauling water and just went to a gas station for wash water, one year. The SeaPlane Base is the best place for camping. They have a shuttle to get back and forth to Whitman for a buck each way. It runs every 15 minutes or so.

Your first time at Oshkosh will undoubtedly be confusing and overwhelming. There is just so much to do and see and it is very large. Plan on a lot of walking. Bring sunscreen and a good hat. Weather is typically hot and sunny with a few thunderstorms thrown in.

Enjoy,

Roberta

Oshkosh

<You will be overwhelmed. It is OK, everyone is
<Even 3-4 days might be hard to see everything, pick and choose.
<Going early in the week is a big advantage to beating the weekend crowd
<Wear comfortable shoes, very comfortable, you will walk a lot
<Bring sun screen and a hat, very important
<Little tractor trams can take you all over.
<Ride the tram around to rest while getting an overview of the site
<Food is expensive, although Mickey D's is not too inflated
<No beer on site except the beer tent near nature center pavilion (important)
<Bring water and a back-pack (to carry free goodies)
<The 4 main exhibit halls A, B, C, D are full of goodies (lot's of freebies)
<Remember, if you buy something you have to haul it around and pack it home
<Vendor show specials$, if your year(s) or more out, consider not buying yet
<UPS/FedEx/USPS on site can help ship your stuff you buy back home
<Don't forget the forum tents, check the schedule (recommend Rod Machado)
<(Rod Machado:aviation humorist, experienced pilot/instructor,author, funny)
<At least one day hang out after the show to watch the cool planes depart
<The fly market, west of the control tower, general stuff to buy, used parts
<Aeromart: like a garage sale with stuff people bring to sell, changes daily
<The *RV's are on the North end of the flight line near the war birds.
<The EAA museum is worth the time, check hours.
<Evenings after hours, speakers and entertainment in theater in the woods.
<If you don't have a place to stay by now, you might be in trouble?
<If you have a car, you might need to drive 40-80 miles away for **motel?

*RV's are also found all over the site, general "North 40", showplane parking/camping and even Vintage. FYI- Experimentals can park anywhere, except the Warbirds area, but that is a whole differnt story. RV's come and go all week, so check it out every day.

**If you are the happy camper type, you can camp out on site. They do have portable shower house facilities, general store to get ice and food. That is kind of cool to do once. (However cool might not be what you call the weather; Sometimes it can be way hot and humid. :eek: ) One of my Oshkosh visits I flew in with my RV-4, I camped out in the Vintage camping under a tree. In the morning the PA speakers across the site blast with something like a radial engine starting. :D Great alarm clock. Another morning, early, two F-104 starfighters did a couple of very high speed, low passes to get everyone going in the morning. I like comfort, so I avoid sleeping on the ground as much as possible, but camping on the flight line was a cool thing to do. When I finish my RV7 I'll camp out again may be.

Have fun George

Last edited:
We are hoping to host the 2nd annual-but-more-like-biannual RV7 builders BBW somewhere in Camp Scholler probably on Wednesday around 6 pm. (Assuming Thursday is the homebuilders dinner at the Pioneer) I hope to get a second campsite and rent a tent to have a little more room this year. Hot dogs, burgers and beer. Gotta figure out how to get the big gas-fired BBQ to Oshkosh and still have room left.

More as it happens.

Osh

We camped in the north 40 (again) last year but had a rental car, too. That made all the difference. We could come and go as we pleased. Tour the local area, eat downtown where the local eat, thus avoiding $6 Big Macs and buy "supplies" in the local grocery store. We had a 1 week parking pass for the "red" lot by the north 40 gate.

Hope to do it like that again,
Steve
flaps

Back