What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amount of blind rivets

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Just curious if anyone has an idea of how many blind rivets are pulled. Is it worth while getting a pneumatic rivet puller or just stick with a $30 hand puller.

Thanks,

Jim

Just curious if anyone has an idea of how many blind rivets are pulled. Is it worth while getting a pneumatic rivet puller or just stick with a $30 hand puller.

Thanks,

Jim

I think all Vans blind rivets are pulled. :D

Sorry. Too easy.

Seriously though, if the 14 is like the others, then skip the pneumatic pop rivet gun. Buy a manual one with a long nose as cheaply as possible. On other SB kits such as the 7, you have to grind much of that nose away for clearance to pop some rivets. I think it was for the tanks but my memory may be off.

On the wings just pull them, very few. No need for anything other than a hand riveter for the entire RV-10 so I'm guessing the same for the 14.

I've had one of those for years and did not pull it out for the 14 wings or the entire RV-10.
Ron

hand rivet puller is sufficient, but not preferable

I suspect that there are not many pull rivets in the RV14, so the manual model is fine -- as others have already said.

However, I can't recall ever buying a tool and then thinking "Oh, I wish I hadn't bought that."

I have the Harbor freight pneumatic rivet puller mentioned above and love it. I've used it on 90% of the pull rivets so far and it is a joy to use. I would estimate that it is about 3x faster than a manual model because it takes only one light pull of the trigger and the stem is ejected automatically.

I have the HF pneumatic puller ...

...and used it only once through the entire build. My Stanley swivel-head hand puller worked easily and handily for all other locations.

Back