What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weird TT AP Roll Issue

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am working on testing and troubleshooting my AFS AP in flight. I am still doing all my testing with just the AP head control ? not EFIS control at this point. The AP is able to hold the heading and altitude when AP is pressed as expected. It is also following climb and descent VS commands. When indicating a heading change, if the heading is a relatively small change 90 or less degrees, the turn goes well. However, if I command a long turn (175 degrees for instance), the stick moves to command the roll and eventually reaches a stop. It then starts to ?clang? back and forth like a stick shaker (about 2 inches back and forth), perhaps once every second or so and continues to do so even past the assigned heading. If I command a turn to the opposite direction, it stays in the stick shaker mode. If I press AP to deactivate it, I can level out and I can then command a turn properly again.

I?m wondering if the servo is going over center or something else is causing this behavior. Ideas?

Sounds like you are reaching the torque limit before getting to the commanded bank angle.

Those servos are stepper motors and will ratchet between the steps if the torque limit is exceeded.

Be careful with over center possibilities. Make sure this is impossible with your setup or you could be in for a bad day.

Be sure you have your lateral torque set to 12. If that is set properly and you're still having the problem, you can try moving the rod end bearing connection to the middle hole. Just make sure you can't get the servo over center.

Back