What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Distance between external ADSB antennae

walkman

Well Known Member
I am installing external antennae for my Skyradar unit. I have a Ted xpdr antenna for the higher freq and a Delta Pop for the UAT. In the interest of not having to drill new holes in the bottom of the fuse, or fill old ones, I'm attempting to repurpose the space and holes left by the mb antenna I removed.

This puts the two antennae at 8.25" spacing between the two BNC connectors. Will this be a problem?

This also puts my xpdr antenna 15" to the right, and my #2 comm 15" to the left. Any issues with this?

I am installing external antennae for my Skyradar unit. I have a Ted xpdr antenna for the higher freq and a Delta Pop for the UAT. In the interest of not having to drill new holes in the bottom of the fuse, or fill old ones, I'm attempting to repurpose the space and holes left by the mb antenna I removed.

This puts the two antennae at 8.25" spacing between the two BNC connectors. Will this be a problem?

This also puts my xpdr antenna 15" to the right, and my #2 comm 15" to the left. Any issues with this?

Martin,

What guidance does your Skyrader installation manual state? Below is the guidance that GRT gives for the installation of an external antenna for the XGPS170 ADS-B unit.

Placement of External Antennas
External transponder-type antenna should ideally be at least 4 feet from the dedicated transponder antenna, but not on multiples of 4 feet (due to wavelength). Place on the bottom of the aircraft for the best angle to receive ADS-B ground signals.

Regards,

The skyradar ships with the antenna 2.5 inhes apart and that works great in this configuration. Anything greater is fine. Mine are 3' apart but under the fuselage.
Good luck

Back