What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fiberglassing nav light fairing to wingtip

rvator51

Well Known Member
What is the best mixture to use to fiberglass the outside of the nav lights extension fairing to the old style wingtip? I tried flox and epoxy and it didn't work well at all. Microballoons and epoxy mix?

nav-ext.jpg

Prep both surfaces very well with 36 grit sandpaper. Mate with a wet flox mixture. Now paint pure epoxy over the prepared nav light extension and the surrounding wing tip area,,,,about 1" wide on both. Lay up 2 layers of 2" wide BID tape wetting each layer and don't forget to peel ply.

I'd tack it to the tip with a few dabs of 5-minute and a strip of masking tape. Fifteen minutes later I'd wipe in a filet of wet micro and lay two plies of 8-harness over the whole thing. Fair with a 80 grit block when cured.

I'm going to attack this project this coming weekend. I noticed that on my wingtip extensions, some sort of "skin" was coming off. You can peel it off. It's as if the maker applied a very thin skin of plastic. Anyone know what this is?

Back