What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

overnight in PA

kritsher

Well Known Member
I'm planning my first "true" cross-country, from Indianapolis to Boston in a few weeks. I'd like to take my time and make a two-day trip of it, and so I"m looking for a nice place to overnight in central/western PA.

Anyone know of a nice field in the area with either nice scenic camping or reasonable accommodations within walking distance? Or of attractions/restaurants I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

Hi Ken, I am a flying/camping type myself, but am sorry to report that our region has relatively few airports that offer good on-the-ground recreational opportunities. The best I can think of is a private use field, Merry's Pymatuning, PA01. I work at Pymatuning in the summer and used to tie down there. Nothing at the airstrip except quiet contryside. Town is a resonable hike, perhaps a 1/2 mile. Ownership information is available via Airnav and other published sources.

I think the most interesting stop would be the Bass Islands in Western Lake Erie. North Bass has no accomodations or restaurants, but does allow camping. The others (Middle Bass, South Bass, Kellys Island) discourage camping on the fields but you have lots of choices of campgrounds, cottages, and places to eat within walking distance. Sounds like a good trip, have fun.

Back