What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Re-pitch a Sensenich or buy a wooden prop?

penguin

Well Known Member
Patron
I've just had Aerosport Power rebuild the O-320-E2D powering my RV-6A to 160hp with Superior cylinders. I didn't get my 77" Sensenich prop repitched as I was pulling around 2470 rpm in the cruise (2170 static) - Van's advice is that rpm will increase 25 to 40 rpm per inch (climb/cruise) and recommend a 79" pitch for 160hp. I concluded that the cruise rpm would be well below the 2600 redline and I would get a useful boost in static rpm (and climb rate).

Now I find that I am pulling 2320 rpm static and can easily exceed 2600rpm at full throttle at any altitude up to 6500' (haven't been higher yet, still breaking in th engine). All rpms from calibrated electronic tach. I would like to use the additional performance so am looking at either repitching the current prop to 79", or buying a wooden prop.

My question is what climb and cruise performance numbers do RV-6 pilots with O-320s and various wooden props get? If anyone could provide a gross weight low level climb rate number, and a full throttle cruise number at 6 or 8,000' that would be very helpful. If anyone could provide the same numbers for a 79" Sensenich that would also be useful. I don't mind operating slightly above 2700rpm at full throttle to get better climb.

Are there any wooden prop makers to steer clear of?

Any data would be useful.

Pete

If you decide to go the wood prop route, I have a Pacesetter 68x69 I bought for my RV3 with an 0-320E2D, that I never finished. A friend of mine is running this combo on his 160hp RV6 and he is happy.
The prop has been stored in my home and is in "NEW" condition, never run.
If this interest you send me a email [email protected]

Last edited:
Back