What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bandsaw won't cut straight

flybill7

Well Known Member
I have one of the cheap bandsaws (approx $125). It goes through aluminum easily with a fairly decent cut.

My problem is it won't cut straight! It keeps wanting to curve on me. I've tried tightening the blade to its tightest setting, using the stop, twisting the material. It's not a problem on just cutting some little angles or trimming something. But when I'm trying to do something like the Cabin Frame angles that get this trapezoidal cut, its been a major annoyance that cost me losts of time vixen filing.

Thoughts, suggestions?

... Bill

What I do.

I've had the same experience with my band saw. Short cuts are fine, but the longer the cut, the harder it is to keep it straight. On flat material I tape an old steel straight edge(from a cheap combination square) next to the line I want to cut and use it as a guide. It helps a lot.

usually a band saw (even the cheap ones) have lateral guides that control blade twist. Look for adjustment just below the table on either side of the blade to bring those guides closer to the blade.

Bill,

I experience the same issue on my band saw quite frequently. Due to the fact that I cut steel and alumnum and stainless steel. What happens is the blade gets dull on one side more than the other and causes it to curve. Get a new blade and you'll be good to go.

-Jeff

As Scott mentioned, my cheap Delta band saw has guides above and below the cutting area. Try adjusting those. Also, the top guides can be moved up and down. Moving those down closer might help.

Above all that though, I've found a fresh blade helps the most. I was having serious curving trouble. Decided to try a new blade, and presto. The .125 stock is always going to be tough to cut. You just have to take it slowly.

Dave

New Saw blade

;) As the others have said a new blade will fix your problem also I find using a wider saw blade (1/2) for strait cuts. The best place to get good blades is McMaster Carr there better then the most of the ones that you can buy from Home Depot or Sears.

Adam
Finnish 8-
Superior IO-360
Blended Foil Prop

most likely this

Adam said:
;) As the others have said a new blade will fix your problem also I find using a wider saw blade (1/2) for strait cuts. The best place to get good blades is McMaster Carr there better then the most of the ones that you can buy from Home Depot or Sears.

Adam
Finnish 8-
Superior IO-360
Blended Foil Prop
however if you band saw has many hours on it and a new blade doesnt fix it the bearings that guide the blade may need adjusting if you have already run out of adjustment on the whole guide block assy. you adjust the bearings to just wider than the blade by couple of .001 then readjust the block. then test cut a 3-4 inch piece and fine tune it from here. just did this last week. the first time 2 years ago a blade fixed it (many blades since then)( build alot of deer stands ,trailers and stuff )).

For cutting angle and bar stock, I use a cheap chop saw with a 10" cut off wheel. For straight cuts on sheet stock under .040, I just scribe with a utility knife and straight edge, and snap the parts off.

Roberta

Adjusting guides - what a difference!

After reading Dave's post, I checked my bandsaw and found the upper and lower guides and tracking bearing were way off on my saw. After adjusting the guides and bearing, my saw now cuts straight. I should have done this months ago. Thanks for the tip.

Back