What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winery/vineyard recommendations - KWVI

esco

Well Known Member
Friend
Co-pilot has expressed a desire to visit Watsonville mid July; any recommendations for wineries, breweries, bakeries, hotel/bed & breakfast lodging, restaurants?

A search of VAF didn't turn up any, and Google... well, it's Google;); tough for me to separate wheat from chaff online.

I understand Santa Rosa is experimental-friendly, Petaluma is a gateway to Napa/Sonoma, and they're both charming and close in RV-time; for a number of reasons, however, Watsonville's the destination for this trip.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Don't know about Watsonville, per se, but Monterey is about half an hour away. Then there is Carmel by the Sea (lots of Hotels, B&Bs, etc.) and Pebble Beach (Golf $$, 17 mile drive). Fly to Paso Robles sometime. An easy hop from SoCal and very fine wineries.

Flying safety over vineyards

When flying over a vineyard rich environment you need a plan in case the unthinkable happens. The question is to land at right angles to the vineyard or with the rows. I have had some success landing at right angles across the vineyard. The wires work as an arrestor cable and bring the plane to a quick and safe stop, however others argue that landing with the rows is safer. Several of us have tried both ways with mixed results. If you choose to join the research, please let us know the results.

Something to think about.

Steve

Vineyard landing tips

Mr. Barnes:

That was absolutely not the kind of comment I was expecting; thanks very much for the very practical tip, and, incidentally, my first laugh-out-loud today.

I don't plan to participate in the experiment; that said, right now, from the ground, "arresting cable" is appealing. I didn't realize that tiedown ring at the tail had so many uses...

A friend of mine (out of Petaluma) recently had to put his beautiful Stearman into a vineyard. Lost power, not much altitude, glide ratio like a brick. He was unscathed. The damage to the Stearman was awesome. The wires stopped him quickly alright but you will flip when they get the landing gear. Also, the stakes are steel posts that tear things up immensely.

Other visits

Jim:

Appreciate the steer to Paso and Monterey; the co-pilot loves the Central Coast vistas and vineyards.

If our ground plans in Watsonville don't pan out, it's nice to know we have some very favorable options close by.

A target-rich environment for wineries

North of Watsonville in the Santa Cruz area there is Beauregard in Bonny Doon, Bargetto in Soquel, and a wide variety of very excellent wineries if you are willing to drive up the slopes of the Santa Cruz mountains a little. Cinnibar, David Bruce, and then on the east slope, Savanna Chanel, Thomas Fogarty,Mt Eden, Cooper-Garrod, those are the ones I can think of.

East of Watsonville is the Gilroy area, Thomas Cruz, and several others.

South of Monterey in the Carmel Valley there are some great wineries, with nice tasting rooms right in the village of Carmel Valley.

If you want to stray farther, then a different airport might be a better choice, whether it is Paso Robles, Oceano, Santa Maria, Petaluma, Healdsburg, Santa Rosa, Napa, Sonoma Sky Park, or in the sierra foothills: Westover, Placerville, Calaveras Co, Columbia, ALL have great wineries within short distances. And surely I've omitted some others.

Co-pilot has expressed a desire to visit Watsonville mid July; any recommendations for wineries, breweries, bakeries, hotel/bed & breakfast lodging, restaurants?

A search of VAF didn't turn up any, and Google... well, it's Google;); tough for me to separate wheat from chaff online.

I understand Santa Rosa is experimental-friendly, Petaluma is a gateway to Napa/Sonoma, and they're both charming and close in RV-time; for a number of reasons, however, Watsonville's the destination for this trip.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Santa Cruz is the target!

Mr. Smith:

Thanks very much for the steer to Bargetto & Beauregard in Santa Cruz - these two look to be just right.

If there's still room in the baggage area, we may venture farther afield. Pirep to follow.

Back