What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time between scuffing and priming

Freightdawg

Well Known Member
Due to a work schedule that tends to be a moving target, I've been reluctant to take the ScotchBrite to my vertical stab parts because of the time they'd potentially be sitting around scuffed before I could get the primer to them.

Is there a rule of thumb for max time between scuffing and priming? Or is it not even a factor since I'm just scuffing and not removing the alclad? My attempts at a search have been futile.

Thanks.

Jeff

I think it's more important that the surfaces be cleaned, including chemical etch, just prior to primer. Check with your paint company, they will have a max time between primer and top coat.

This is only one way, and happens to be the way I did my priming/painting.
When I was ready to paint, I scuffed the part with red scotch rite and Prekote. Follow the directions exactly. Then after rinsing and blowdrying only, I waited until the next day to prime. Blow clean air again right before shooting.

Brd

Scuffing

You can scuff ahead of time. It won't hurt anything. Give it a good wipe with thinner before you shoot the primer to remove anything that has settled on the metal while it was laying around. I also wipe with a tack clothe before shooting. If you are shooting self-etching primer you shouldn't need to etch with chemical. The etching acid is in the primer.

Back