What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView ADS-B and Garmin 430W/530W

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
After upgrading my G430W software to provide position data for ADS-B, I would not receive ADS-B traffic on my SKYVIEW system. I got weather just fine and TIS traffic but no ADS-B traffic. So, after much research, trial and error I finally got it to work. Here is how I had to configure the equipment in order to get it to work:

Configure the G430W for AVIATION + output on the RS-232 port. DON'T SET IT FOR GARMIN ADS-B!
Configure the Dynon Transponder to receive AVIATION on the RS-232 port. DON'T SET IT FOR GARMIN ADS-B!

When the G430W/530W has a GPS lock, the Dynon transponder configuration page will show an active GPS. This means they are talking to each other and you are good to go.

I seems the Garmin ADS-B baud rate DYNON is looking for is 38K (Compatible with the new Garmin units) but the Garmin 430W/530W only outputs 9.8K so it doesn't work. The Aviation data format is a 9.8K baud rate so they now talk to each other.

On my test flight, the system displayed so much traffic it was incredible. I was even able to "see" an airplane in the pattern at my airport from almost 20miles away. When I got there it was a Grumman Tiger doing touch-n-go's with no ADSB capability just squawking 1200 in the pattern. NICE!

Morale of the story; unless you have the new Garmin units, DON'T USE GARMIN ADS-B FORMAT. I hope this helps others that might be stumped with this problem.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, we'll look into this. It works fine with the GTN650 and we weren't aware there was any difference with the old units. If it's just the baud rate it will be easy to fix.

We have to get it fixed because when you are using Aviation you are not 2020 compliant, which is the whole reason the ADS-B format exists.

G430W/530W upgrade

What steps do you have to do to upgrade the 430W for ADS B

It has to be done by a Garmin Distributor. They have the upgraded software to replace the old version. The local avionics shop charged me $45.00 for the upgrade and did it in about 30 minutes. :cool:

Back