What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Used Cylinders

jmbaute

Well Known Member
My O-360 is coming back from an overhaul with new cylinders...and the 3 remaining old ones with 1200 hrs since new.

Is there any re-sale value on something like this? Or, is there merit to keeping them around in case we need to replace a cylinder at some point in the future? Old cylinders are Millenium, new are Titan..not sure if that mismatch matters.

Obviously they'd need to be overhauled before re-use- what would that cost? Or, if I decide to build an engine someday, is overhauling them myself something practical?

I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,
John

Cylinders

Hi Jim-
Last cylinders I got rid of as cores brought $75.00 each, not sure whether that's good or bad, but that's what I got.
They can defiinitely be overhauled if you wanted to keep them. According to how bad they are, you'd be looking at $500 to $700 cost. Just the exhaust valve is close to $200.00 itself! I'm basing this on the cost of some OH cylinders I have purchased. You could do it youself, but you'd need a lot of special tools.
Hope this helps you make a decision. It doesn't hurt anything to hold onto them! If you decide to get rid of them, and if they are narrow deck cylinders, I might be interested. Just shoot me an email.
Good Luck!
Bill Waters

Price of cylinders

I had 4 left over from the last OH. Posted them on Ebay and got about $50.00 each. Probably not good but it got them out of the hanger. They would have just rusted to death.
If you do sell them on Ebay be aware that UPS significantly increases their shipping cost above 70 lbs. :( Two 35 lb boxes are cheaper to ship than one 70 pounder! :D

Thanks for your help!

So, if I decided to 'pickle' one or all of them for later use, any suggestions on what to do?

Amaing that there is such a low core value on these things, considering the new price. I guess it is mostly in the labor.

jmbaute said:
Amazing that there is such a low core value on these things, considering the new price. I guess it is mostly in the labor.

I am sure it is their liability insurance, parts costs plus lower volume of sales compared to other items.

Sell them on eBay

jmbaute said:
My O-360 is coming back from an overhaul with new cylinders...and the 3 remaining old ones with 1200 hrs since new.

Is there any re-sale value on something like this? Or, is there merit to keeping them around in case we need to replace a cylinder at some point in the future? Old cylinders are Millenium, new are Titan..not sure if that mismatch matters.
Yes there is a market. The Airboat Guy's love this stuff. A good way to go is eBay (Motors). If you include the old pistons, rings, valves, etc you will get some nice change for them. If you are new to eBay try to get an eBay junkie / seller to sell them for you or help you set-up the auction. It is not hard, but there are few tips in getting the most for your parts. Plus you will need to take pictures, which is optional but a must to effectively sell anything. I would not keep them around to as a spar replacement. Likely the new Jugs will go the distance and if you have a problem, say a valve issue, you will pull it and make a repair and return it to service. Cheers George

If you don't really need the money from them, stuff them full of oily rags and seal them in plastic bags and shove them under your work bench. There may be a time when you need to pull one out and have it gone through. They are like money in the bank. Beside, I'm assuming you know something of their history. I did that several years ago. I'd put Channel Chrome Cylinders on a C-85, and the rings never did seat. I got tired of fooling with it and pulled out my old steel bore cylinders, and had them gone through, then put them back on the engine. The engine went another 1600 hours with no problems.
I later sold the Channel Chrome Cylinders for $200 a pop. I didn't like them, and was glad to get rid of them.

Bobby S

Last edited:
Back