What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder hinge rivets

philb

Well Known Member
Friend
Anybody think the rivets securing rudder hinge to vertical spar are too short when squeezed? Plans call out -7's, but almost all as squeezed are too short/not wide enough based on rivet guage. I Think I would have used 7.5's if there were any included in the kit - don't see any mention of this on the other -10 builder sites...

thanks!
phil
KSLC

Callouts are a starting point...

We've gotten so used to using different length rivets than what is called out that I don't even mention it in our web logs. We use the called out size as a starting point and then gauge it. If it's pretty close, we use it. If another size is closer, we use it instead. And if you want it perfect, you can always cut the longer size to the exact length.

Last edited:
We went to SynergyAir in April to build our empennage kit and Wally Anderson suggested different rivets than the call out in several places. I believe the rudder hinge was one of those places.

Rivet length

I would encourage you to always use what looks or measures to be right. The rivet callouts in the plans are guidelines. Manufacturing tolerances in the metal, powder coating thicknesses and even primer/paint can make a difference in the required rivet length.
Vic

Phil,

Yes this is one of several areas you will find it more comforting to use a longer rivet, as Vic said...always check. I used an Avery guage for awhile but you'll get used to being able to just see it after the first 10,000 or so. :p One thing to make sure of is the parts are tight against each other. If not it will appear too short and then it won't rivet properly with a tight fit. :(

Back