What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6(A) with manual flaps

LarryT

Well Known Member
I am looking for an RV-6(A) with manual flaps in the Portland/Vancouver area.

The purpose is to look at the flap system and drawings to assesss the degree of difficulty to install the -6(A) manual flap components in my RV-7 kit instead of the electric flaps that are standard.

I am nearing completion of the wings and would like to make this decision ASAP.

Thanks for your help,

Larry

Larry,
I'm not close, (as in Texas), but it shouldn't be difficult to do. You will just need to weld on the handle at a slightly lower angle and of course longer.
One recommendation, when you make the bracket, change the notch setup from the plans. The plans call for a 20 degree and a 40 degree notch. If you will make the first notch at 15 degrees, another at 40 and another 1/2 way in between, it will give you the optimum position for short field takeoffs. That's what I did on my -6. 15 degrees gives you the best lift at the lowest drag. That's why the aileron down travel is set at this point. Good luck.

LarryT said:
I am looking for an RV-6(A) with manual flaps in the Portland/Vancouver area.

The purpose is to look at the flap system and drawings to assesss the degree of difficulty to install the -6(A) manual flap components in my RV-7 kit instead of the electric flaps that are standard.

I am nearing completion of the wings and would like to make this decision ASAP.

Thanks for your help,

Larry

Larry:

I am making plans to have my -6 with manual flaps at the Homecoming. Need to get off my duff and make my reservations. If you can wait a few weeks, you may have several to look at. Look for my tail number N157Gs and I will more than likely be the only one there that has a 12" SoCAL Wing Van's Air Force decal on both sides of the tail.

Back