What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filter Test Results

Honestly, a reusable FAA/PMA, Lycoming approved oil filter vs one from Walmart IMHO shouldn’t warrant a thread this lengthy, when for most of us, who are not putting 500 hrs/year on their engine, the bigger threat is likely going to be corrosion.

Everyone’s mileage will vary and at the end of the day, go with whatever floats your boat.
The Challenger filters are not “Lycoming approved”. Again, here’s what the Lycoming tech rep said when queried - “The Challenger filter is not currently a Lycoming approved PMA part...”

Mike, extracted one from a Tempest, and it seemed like the short threads, previously in the filter end cap, were tight when screwed into a new filter. I assume those threads would also be tight in a filter adapter.

I suspect they are non-standard, intended to be tight so the nipple always unscrews with the filter. Are the Champions the same?
In my experience the Champion nipple has a larger thread diameter on the filter side (13/16 IIRC), so the Tempest's 3/4 x 3/4 was the "go to". The short threaded side screws into the adapter assembly without drama. I cant remember how much force it took, but I did think it was loose enough to require locktite as extra insurance from backing out at a filter change.

Last edited:
In my experience the Champion nipple has a larger thread diameter on the filter side (13/16 IIRC), so the Tempest was the "go to". The short threaded side screws into the adapter assembly without drama. I cant remember how much force it took, but I did think it was loose enough to require locktite.

Thanks Mike. I'll polish the lead-in thread and give it a shot.

In my experience the Champion nipple has a larger thread diameter on the filter side (13/16 IIRC), so the Tempest's 3/4 x 3/4 was the "go to". The short threaded side screws into the adapter assembly without drama. I cant remember how much force it took, but I did think it was loose enough to require locktite as extra insurance from backing out at a filter change.
AHA! This might explain my situation... My -6 has always had a nipple installed in the engine, and the threads on it are 13/16". I assumed that someone must have stripped/munged the stock threads and re-threaded and installed a nipple for the next larger size. This makes me wonder if someone just happened to remove a Champion filter and somehow leave the nipple in the engine, and since then i've always had a 13/16" thread (and i've been buying the appropriate Champion/Tempest/etc. filters that have a 13/16" female thread on them since I bought the plane). In fact, I went out of my way to buy the K&N reusable filter that had a 13/16" female thread as well... Which i'll be removing at the next change... :(

That's just going to end with a lot of people selling used K&N *Air* filters in the Classified section... :p
K&N air filters are excellent at keeping stones, birds, leaves, and insects out of the engine. Anything much smaller than that will get through. Thankfully most of our time flying is in relatively clean air as soon as we get away from the surface. I agree that an air filter test will result in a lot of disappointment, but perhaps it will help us find a better way to filter the incoming air, considering the challenges of aviation (rain, snow, ice at altitude, and dust and bugs near the ground).

AHA! This might explain my situation... My -6 has always had a nipple installed in the engine, and the threads on it are 13/16".
Yep, odds are if you pull it out of the adapter you will find 3/4 on the adapter side. Swap it out with the straight Tempest nipple (or aftermarket) and you can join the party with the rest of us!

Back