What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting dent - Did I ruin this piece?

rbg367

I'm New Here
Working on the final rivets of the 14 HS and had the bucking bar and rivet gun on the wrong rivet. Big time dent. Is this piece ruined or fixable? The dent is around 1/32nd deep.
IMG_0862.JPEG
IMG_0861.JPEG

It's hard to tell with close up shots, but it's likely just fine. Something that minor shouldn't be a structural issue, and the painters can fill up any character marks down the road. Take it as a learning experience. If the rivet gun hand doesn't feel pressure from the bucking bar, then you're on the wrong one.

A rite of passage. Always push the rivet towards the gun to verify you are on the right rivet before going in for the kill. A little push-me, push-you dance.

No and Yes (later during paint) Been there, done that (and probably do it again)... actually something, always something on Every, Single, Dang sub-assembly, I guess it's how I mark territory and stay humble(ish). Just wait until the back riveting plate slips outta position. WhoooHoo! Some serious cuss words will fly! SX%$*F*SJJ ^10 power

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. It's helped me calm down and limit the cursing. I've actually been surprised how well my riveting has gone but deep down I knew something was due to go wrong. Another lesson learned and humbling experience.

Back